Are you looking for a musical outlet? Do you wish you had more beauty, community, and excitement in your life? Did you sing in your high school, college, or community choir, and are you looking for that experience again? Or do you want to join a choir for the first time?
The Newburyport Choral Society is looking for great hearts, minds, and voices to join us for our 83rd season.
What makes the Newburyport Choral Society great?
Who we are:
- a vital and varied community from many backgrounds, skill levels, and life situations
- a committed community and family of music makers and music lovers
- a dynamic, historic, thriving and relevant music organization dedicated to excellent performances of art music for the amateur and accomplished performer
What we do:
- We perform with professional orchestra and soloists in two concert sequences each year
- We partner with other organizations like the Newburyport Chamber Music Society and the Newburyport Children’s Chorus
- We educate and enrich new members through optional musicianship classes and social events
- We set the standard in choral/orchestral masterworks on the north shore and have for 83 years!
What we value:
- We believe in making music from the first rehearsal. Life is too short to be anything less than our musical at all times.
- We believe in including all who love music from our community, whether it is singing, volunteering, or enjoying the music from the audience.
- We believe in growing as humans, as a community, and as musicians through hard work and great fun.
- We believe that music is MORE than the right notes and the right rhythms at the right time – that it is the soul and heart of each individual.
- We believe in our bright future, and we want you to be a part of it!
During the 2016-2017 season, we have two exciting concerts planned.
We continue with our panoply concert – something for everyone! – this winter. Entitled Sounds of the Season, we will explore our serious side with Vivaldi’s immaculate and transcendent Gloria with our NCS full orchestra returning. We will flirt with our playful side with fun works such as The Twelve Days of Christmas AND The Twelve Days AFTER Christmas – what could be better than a musical setting describing the aftermath of the holiday season ;)? The Greater Newburyport Children’s Chorus joins us again, and we’ll explore current choral superstar Ola Gjeilo’s beautiful Ubi Caritas III with string orchestra. It wouldn’t be a Winter Concert without the audience sings – this time with full orchestra!
The spring will be an exciting and invigorating new journey. NCS will feature British composer James Whitbourn’s Annelies with amplified violin, cello, clarinet, and piano and soprano soloist. Whitbourn’s oratorio is the only musical setting based on the ubiquitous story of Anne Frank during the Holocaust. Commissioned and premiered in 2005 by the Jewish Music Institute librettist Melanie Challenger has crafted Anne Frank’s story into a dramatic and emotional journey for the performers and the audience, alike. The music features styles that are classical and challenging as well as a cabaret influence, depicting the musical interests of the time period. This work was premiered to huge acclaim, and we look forward to bringing it to Newburyport in 2017. The concert will also feature a lecture/discussion by leading experts in the fields of music and history. I look forward to this piece being a joyful celebration of the glory of the human spirit and a solemn reminder of the hazards of political, social, and religious division. We end the concert with Whitbourn’s healing All Shall Be Amen and Alleluia so as to transcend the horrors of history and underline our belief in the power of the human spirit to triumph.
We hope to see you in the chorus or the audience in our next season!
Newburyport Choral Society
NCS Singer Registration: click here for more information.