CHORAL DIRECTOR – PART TIME POSITION
Location: Newburyport, MA
The Newburyport Choral Society (NCS) is seeking a dynamic part-time Choral Director who will build on its outstanding 80 year performance history and provide a creative vision for the future. The candidate must have an advanced Degree in Music and a minimum of five years of experience in choral conducting, preferably with community choruses similar to NCS.
The Newburyport Choral Society
The Newburyport Choral Society is a non-profit community chorus organization whose mission is to perform the masterpieces of choral music for the education and cultural enrichment of local communities in the Greater Newburyport area. Now entering its 80th year of choral performance, NCS is one of the oldest choral groups in the United States and has brought an extraordinary repertoire of choral music to local audiences over its long history. Performing annual Winter and Spring Concerts with professional orchestra and soloists, the Choral Society is known for the exceptional quality of its concerts. With100 plus members, NCS is one of the largest community choral societies in New England. Members range in age from 15 to more than 80 and bring diverse musical backgrounds and talents- from professional to amateur. Go to www.newburyportchoralsociety.org for more information about NCS and its Performance History which indicates the range and type of choral works performed by the Choral Society. NCS has a fifteen member volunteer Board of Directors who bring significant professional and organizational skills in managing operational, development, fundraising, public relations, and concert logistics tasks.
Choral Director Responsibilities
- Provide overall artistic direction for Choral Society concerts and activities, and develop the artistic vision of the Choral Society in collaboration with the Board of Directors and members
- Conduct weekly Monday evening rehearsals of chorus members in preparation for concerts, and hold voice placement for new members
- Conduct Winter (December), Spring (May) and Summer Sing (August) Concerts and select repertoires for these concerts that are compelling programs – challenging and interesting for singers and enjoyable and exciting for audiences
- Prepare and submit budgets to the Board of Directors that detail program costs – music, orchestra, and soloists
- Work collaboratively with the NCS rehearsal accompanist and provide a positive rehearsal environment for learning that encourages singer participation and motivates high performance standards
- Recruit professional orchestra members and soloists and conduct final concert rehearsal with chorus, orchestra, and soloists
- Prepare program notes and conduct concert performances
- Contribute to singer recruitment, building audience, outreach and fundraising efforts, and to community and sponsor relationships that promote the growth and viability of the Choral Society
- Serve as an ex officio member of the Board of Directors, and attend monthly Board meetings and annual retreat
Please click here to view the Music Director Position Description.
Qualifications and Expertise
- Minimum of Masters Degree in Music/Choral Conducting. Doctorate is preferred.
- Minimum of five years conducting experience with choruses that have performed major choral works with orchestral accompaniment
- Extensive knowledge of choral literature, stylistic and historic aspects of the music, and experience in conducting both traditional masterpieces and new choral repertoire
- Strong communication skills – can convey musical ideas clearly to singers of varying abilities in the areas of musical preparation and performance
- Knowledge and use of best practices in vocal production
- Ability to develop orchestral arrangements when necessary
- Experience in recruiting professional orchestra members and soloists for concerts
Compensation is negotiable depending upon qualifications and experience.
Applications must be submitted by March 15, 2014. Application responses should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. Other application materials such as copies of programs or CDs should be sent to Newburyport Choral Society, ATTN: Mary Ann Lachat, P.O. Box 92, Newburyport, MA 01950. In completing your application, if you have any questions, please submit them to the above e-mail address and we will respond to them. If you would like a CD of one of our concerts, please e-mail us and we will send one to you.
Application must include:
- Cover Letter – Statement of Interest summarizing: a) your interests in applying for the position of Music Director of the Newburyport Choral Society; b) what you feel are the major strengths you bring as a conductor and artistic leader; c) your vision for the Choral Society in going forward from our 80 year history; and d) your professional expectations – what you hope to gain from this experience.
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of Choral Groups you have conducted: Name of Group, Location, Size, How Long, Type of Music, and Number of Concerts each year.
- List of major choral works you have conducted with orchestra
- Four sample programs from recent concerts you conducted
- An example of the concert program you would recommend for the Choral Society’s 2014 Winter Concert (December, 2014). See Performance History on NCS website as a reference of past concerts
- Other materials that provide documentation that supports your application
- A list of references that includes e-mail addresses and phone numbers and their relationship to you.
- If available, please submit a CD or DVD of a performance you conducted.
Selected candidates will be invited to interview with the Search Committee during April, 2014.
Final candidates will be given rehearsal time on selected pieces with the Choral Society in May, 2014 after the Spring Concert.
The Newburyport Choral Society is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of NCS not to discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee because of age, color, sex, disability, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.